Sometimes referred to as invisible braces, these fixed braces use metal brackets which are fitted on the inside (the palate or tongue side of the teeth), so they can’t be seen at all. This has made them increasingly popular as people can have their teeth straightened without anyone even knowing its happening! They provide the perfect cosmetic alternative to conventional braces that are often bulky and aesthetically displeasing. The metal brackets are custom-made to fit the individual shape of your teeth, and are attached to the back of the teeth for ultimate discreteness
These braces have lately become popular with those in the public eye such as Kate Middleton, Cheryl Cole and Mylene Class.
At Dental Elegance we offer the Stb Social 6 and the Stb Light lingual system depending on whether we need to treat just your front six teeth or all of them.
With fixed braces such as these, we have greater control and can achieve more dramatic results much faster than with removable braces such as Invisalign.
What does treatment involve?
It will usually take two or three visits for your Lingual braces to be made and attached, though this may vary. Your first visit will be when an impression is taken of your teeth by the dentist in order to create the foundations for your custom-made set of braces.
On your second visit, when the Lingual braces are attached, the dentist will cement the brackets then attach the arch wire to complete application. Lingual braces are entirely custom-made in order to offer make sure the results are as per your individual requirements.
What are the advantages of Lingual braces?
The advantages of Lingual braces are outlined below:
- It is a cosmetic alternative to conventional braces and cannot be seen by others
- You can effectively clean and maintain good oral hygiene due to the way the braces are bonded to the back of your teeth
- Lingual braces are not removable which means that you do not need to take them out and clean them or rely on you remembering to put them back in.
Are there any disadvantages?
- Lingual braces are more costly compared to traditional braces
- There may be a more lengthy and difficult adjustment time
- It may take time for the braces to feel comfortable
- The braces are not suitable for all types of bites
Are they uncomfortable? We can't say no and some patients have told us that having them fitted is a little uncomfortable. You also need to make sure to clean your teeth thoroughly to avoid any staining of your teeth and gum problems during the treatment.
What is the average treatment time for Lingual braces?
In order to see positive results Lingual braces usually take the same amount of time as traditional braces, around 1-3 years depending on your individual circumstances. The treatment time for application of the braces may take up to a week and then a further 14 days to adjust to the new braces.
How much do Lingual braces cost?
The costs of Lingual braces varies according to the following:
- The severity of your teeth and movement required
- The practice where you have the orthodontic treatment
- The experience of the orthodontist
- The brace system used
On average, Lingual braces tend to be more costly than standard braces, prices start from £2000 for Social 6 and from £5000 for comprehensive upper and lower arch treatments, depending on the factors above. A consultation with your dentist will give you the chance to get an idea of costs and likely timescales of treatment.